I recently read about the grim report by the State Department concerning human trafficking (https://www.foxnews.com/us/human-trafficking-in-america-among-worst-in-world-report). It is not only is on the rise in the United States, but this country is ranked as one of the worst countries for human trafficking. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo presented the Trafficking in Persons Report, which documents human trafficking numbers from the previous year. He noted that despite the substantial increase in funding and services for trafficking survivors, a growing number of children are being trafficked as sex slaves. The following are some shocking statistics:
- 85% are born in the United States
- 50% to 60% are from foster care
- Others are homeless young people, undocumented immigrant youth, and young people suffering from substance abuse
- Over 300,000 of the country’s youth are at risk. (According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- The average victim began getting raped at three years old
I believe the government is redoubling its efforts in fighting this growing problem, but the sad truth is sex trafficking is thriving because of the great demand. How can it be stopped?
Keith Raniere: Finally, Justice for the Sex Cult Founder
I know this qualifies as good news, but after reading the trial of NXIUM founder Keith Raniere, I feel sickened he was allowed to operate his sex cult business for even one day. Raniere is an example of a monstrously evil individual. He faces life in prison. For those interested in reading about his horrific cult, please go to https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48401061. In the article, you will find that Raniere had notable people working and financing him. I found the crimes too gruesome to read.
More Good News: Former MLB Kevin Malone Works to End Human Trafficking
Kevin Malone was a general manager in professional baseball for 17 years. Now he works hard to rescue children from sex trafficking. Five years ago he co-founded the U.S. Institute Against Human Trafficking. Based on research Malone estimates that there are over 100,000 children being trafficked for sex in the United States. The U.S. Institute Against Human Trafficking’s website (https://usiaht.org/about-us/) states their goals as follows:
- Creating financially stable and replicable Safe Homes for survivor restoration across the country
- Partnering with local law enforcement, governments, businesses, schools and community-based organizations to create TraffickingFree Zones
- Educating federal, state and local government officials about the problem and what more they can do to stop it
- Eliminating the “demand” by promoting legislative and law enforcement focus on the sex buyers instead of those being sold
The human trafficking crisis has affected all levels of our society and it can no longer be ignored. People must come together to end it.
If you are a trafficking victim or suspect someone you know is a victim, contact The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST or CYBERTIPLINE.ORG.
Idelle Kursman is the author of True Mercy, a thriller designed to bring awareness to two issues: families with a loved one with autism and the human trafficking crisis.